Great vacancy Capital Deployment Manager hiring now
Job Details: Capital Deployment Manager
Full details of the job.
Capital Deployment Manager
Los Angeles or San Francisco
REDF is a pioneering venture philanthropy organization that invests exclusively in the growth and effectiveness of social enterprises―mission-driven businesses dedicated to helping people who otherwise would be shut out of the workforce, get jobs, keep jobs, and build a better life. Since 1997, REDF has provided funding and specialized advisory services to over 140 social enterprises in 23 states. Together, these businesses have employed over 28,000 people, and earned $505 million in revenue (and counting).
It’s an investment that works—$2.23 in benefits for every $1.00 spent.
The broader impact is in lives transformed, as people find not just work but hope, pride, belonging, and self-sufficiency. When people work, we leverage all of the talent available to our country. Families and communities are stronger—and so is our entire society.
Reporting to the Chief Program Officer, the Capital Development/Deployment Manager will be the principal responsible for REDF’s new Impact Lending practice. With support from REDF’s portfolio team, you will oversee the identification, due diligence, underwriting and processing REDF impact loan requests to ensure REDF is able to appropriately gauge risk profile, creditworthiness, and social impact of each potential investment. As REDF grows this loan portfolio, you will be responsible for managing risk and borrower performance, including sourcing technical assistance to borrowers. Additionally, you will be responsible for identifying social enterprises in new markets and industries that contribute to the growth of the social enterprise sector and improve the outcomes of individuals who face barriers employment such as incarceration, mental health challenges, and histories of homelessness.
• Ensure a steady pipeline of qualified borrowers across multiple regions and within priority lending sectors (alternative staffing, maintenance & recycling, consumer goods, good service, and manufacturing).
• Represent REDF’s impact lending practice at industry events to educate new audiences.
• Identify partnership opportunities with co-lenders including CDFIs, impact investors, and philanthropic organizations to build and share pipeline.
• Utilizing REDF’s data platforms, work with lending team and leadership to implement standardized due diligence processes for potential loans.
• Conduct due diligence on new investment opportunities including: reviewing application materials and financial statements, producing robust financial models and performing scenario analyses; evaluating social impact potential; and interviewing borrowing candidates and conducting site visits to assess leadership capacity.
• Perform benchmarking analyses using internal and external data to predict loan performance metrics and behaviors across industry and sector.
• Advise REDF and funding partners on the strengths, risks, and social impact of various investment opportunities, including recommendations on type and amount of capital needed.
Impact Lending Program Management
• Help set investment theses, lending strategy and monitor lending portfolio metrics.
• Develop end-to-end risk management strategies and process for execution.
• Provide reporting to REDF Board and exec team on status of lending program.
• Identify budget and staffing needs for lending program and manage program budget.
• Maintain oversight across the loan lifecycle – sourcing, due diligence, term sheet, closing, and repayment – and provide analysis of lending performance for REDF senior leadership, Board and investors (Foundations & HNWI).
Relationship Management and Collaboration
• Manage relationships with borrowers, including collection of data, monitoring performance against goals, technical assistance provision, and advising.
• Scope and source technical assistance and relationship managers from portfolio team; work across REDF teams to ensure the lending team is contributing to REDF’s programmatic goals.
• Minimum 5 years’ experience in of lending/investing/banking experience, including financial and operational due diligence of small businesses.
• MBA preferred; other graduate degrees or commensurate experience will be considered.
• Strong financial modeling and financial statement analysis skills; willingness to use qualitative and quantitative data to drive the decision-making process.
• Comfort with ambiguous situations, being flexible, and working independently; enthusiasm for building new programs.
• Experience working with both for‐profit and non‐profit borrowers strongly preferred, with an ability to integrate double-bottom line metrics and provide technical assistance to borrowers.
• Ability to travel up to 30% of the time.
• Experience working with nonprofit agencies and nonprofit-run businesses.
• Strong understanding of the social enterprise sector and how it operates. Experience working in or with a social enterprise.
• Ability to help craft REDF’s next 20 years of impact
• Work with passionate, dedicated people
• Apply your passion for social change in your career
• Operate with a high degree of autonomy in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
Please submit your resume and cover letter as one document via REDF’s applicant portal.
REDF is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of equal treatment and opportunity in every aspect of its relations with staff members and prospective employees, and will not discriminate against applicants for employment because of race, creed, color, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sex, or sexual orientation. REDF encourages employment applications from people who are representative of the culturally and ethnically diverse communities REDF serves. Pursuant to the Los Angeles and San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, REDF will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
If you need an accommodation to complete the online application, please call 415.561.6633. Please leave a message and a member of our Human Resources team will return your call within one business day. Alternatively, send an email to
with “Applicant Accommodation” in the subject line of the email. Please note that this phone number and email are only for those individuals who would like to request an accommodation to apply for a job.
Competitive, comprehensive benefits package
Nov 16, 2018
Sage People Recruit