Great vacancy Portfolio Associate hiring now
Job Details: Portfolio Associate
Full details of the job.
San Francisco or Los Angeles
REDF is a pioneering venture philanthropy organization that invests exclusively in the growth and effectiveness of social enterprises―mission-driven businesses dedicated to helping people who otherwise would be shut out of the workforce, get jobs, keep jobs, and build a better life. Since 1997, REDF has provided funding and specialized advisory services to over 140 social enterprises in 23 states. Together, these businesses have employed over 28,000 people, and earned $505 million in revenue (and counting).
It’s an investment that works—$2.23 in benefits for every $1.00 spent.
The broader impact is in lives transformed, as people find not just work but hope, pride, belonging, and self-sufficiency. When people work, we leverage all of the talent available to our country. Families and communities are stronger—and so is our entire society.
About the Venture Philanthropy Portfolio
REDF’s Venture Philanthropy Portfolio team makes grants and loans to some of the most effective and innovative social enterprises around the country, and provides specialized, hands-on, advisory services to help their businesses grow, and their employees thrive. We apply principles of private equity and social equity to invest in solutions that generate a social return on investment – more people employed, higher incomes, more stable housing, and reduced recidivism.
We are looking for an Associate that will help REDF’s portfolio of social enterprises further their impact and scale by providing targeted business and programmatic assistance as well as advisory support. The Associate will play an instrumental role in REDF’s overall portfolio and programs strategy development, due diligence, and field-building activities. The role involves a high-degree of visibility with the social enterprise leadership teams (including CEOs), external partners, and senior colleagues at REDF (including at times REDF’s board).
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Social Enterprise Technical Assistance
• Working closely with social enterprises across REDF’s various programs (National Portfolio, Accelerator, Impact Lending), identify and manage high-quality strategic projects that proactively address challenges and support the growth of REDF social enterprises. A typical project will touch on one or more of the following: new-business feasibility analysis, market research, operational and financial planning, business planning, operational and performance analysis, data capture and evaluation, or program design development.
• Present findings and insights stemming from projects to REDF portfolio staff; leverage insights to contribute to REDF’s investment decision processes
Programs Strategy and Management
• Contribute to due diligence process across REDF’s programs; screen applications, conduct research on applicants, participate in investment discussions
• Take on lead relationship management role (where appropriate) for social enterprises in REDF’s Strategic Grants and Impact Lending programs
• Participate in monthly meetings for designated portfolio organizations; build and maintain trusting relationships with social enterprise staff
• Work with REDF Portfolio Managers to set and review agency and enterprise progress against goals, including initial goal-setting, mid-year assessments, and periodic reviews
• Assist in the development and execution of REDF’s strategy and goals
Social Enterprise Field Advancement and Model Development
• Codify insights and lessons-learned into tools or other products that can be used by social enterprise practitioners
• Represent REDF at external forums and conferences to foster knowledge sharing and further the discourse around supportive employment and second-chance hiring
• Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 2+ years of experience in analytically-driven roles
• Ability to independently setup and execute appropriate analyses for portfolio groups; demonstrated ability to draw conclusions and make concrete, actionable recommendations based on analysis
• Well-developed interpersonal skills, including diplomacy, tact and patience; will represent REDF well with social enterprises or external partners
• Ability to elicit information from, and provide guidance to, people with a wide range of cultural backgrounds, training and experience; experience working with mixed cultures and skill levels
• Enjoys working both independently and as part of a broader team
• Works well with some degree of flexibility and ambiguity
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite (i.e., PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook)
• Ability to travel up to 30% to visit portfolio organizations
• Ability to work in an open office environment
• Experience with businesses in multiple industries, including small businesses
• Experience working with nonprofit agencies and nonprofit-run businesses
• Experience with job training and job creation programs employing disadvantaged people
• Ability to help craft REDF’s next 15 years of impact
• Work with passionate, dedicated people
• Apply your passion for social change in your career
• Operate with a high degree of autonomy in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
Please submit resume and cover letter as one file through REDF’s online applicant portal. Visit our website for additional job opportunities with REDF.
REDF is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of equal treatment and opportunity in every aspect of its relations with staff members and prospective employees, and will not discriminate against applicants for employment because of race, creed, color, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sex, or sexual orientation. REDF encourages employment applications from people who are representative of the culturally and ethnically diverse communities REDF serves. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, REDF will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
If you need an accommodation to complete the online application, please call 415.561.6633. Please leave a message and a member of our Human Resources team will return your call within one business day. Alternatively, send an email to
with “Applicant Accommodation” in the subject line of the email. Please note that this phone number and email are only for those individuals who would like to request an accommodation to apply for a job.
Competitive, comprehensive benefits package
Nov 16, 2018
Sage People Recruit