Great vacancy Portfolio Manager hiring now
Job Details: Portfolio Manager
Full details of the job.
San Francisco, Los Angeles
Under the supervision of the Portfolio Director, the Portfolio Manager will act as REDF’s relationship manager with individual portfolio organizations and serve as a lead advisor on assessment of new investment opportunities.You will have an assigned portfolio of social enterprises that they will work with and nurture, helping each social enterprise achieve its long-term goals for both mission and business success. You will provide your social enterprises with advisory services to achieve the social enterprises’ goals and also lead annual and ongoing grantmaking activities to their portfolio organizations, including budgeting, financial reporting and monitoring, and goal setting. You are a vital component of overall portfolio management and learning, REDF’s overall strategic development, and field building and knowledge development through the creation of content, tools, and presentations.
See what a job can do!
REDF is a venture philanthropy organization that invests exclusively in the growth and effectiveness of social enterprises?double bottom-line businesses dedicated to helping people who otherwise would be shut out of the workforce, get jobs, keep jobs, and build a better life. Since 1997, REDF has provided funding and specialized advisory services to over 60 social enterprises in California, to help them and the people they employ, succeed, and make spending for government programs go further. Now REDF is expanding the impact of its work nationally, building the field of social enterprise, deepening the evidence base to demonstrate the return on investment, and partnering with some of the most effective and innovative social enterprises around the country to strengthen their business, scale their impact, and help tens of thousands more people transform their lives and futures.
Relationship Management and Advisory Services
• Advise and problem solve with portfolio organizations to help them achieve their mission and business potential; provide clear feedback, insights, and conclusions
• Influence portfolio organizations in setting goals for both mission and business and hold portfolio organizations accountable for progress against goals
• Identify, scope, and help deliver high-quality business and programmatic technical assistance projects for REDF social enterprises to help them achieve their goals (e.g. feasibility analyses, market analyses, operational and financial planning, business planning)
• Provide general relationship management, including: acting as primary point person and liaison between REDF and portfolio organization, building trusting relationships with portfolio senior leadership, leading monthly meetings, and ensuring appropriate and timely budgeting and accounting
• Assist in the development and execution of REDF’s portfolio strategy and goals
• Provide analysis of portfolio organizations’ performance for REDF senior leadership and Board of Directors
• Conduct select research projects (as appropriate) in support of overall REDF portfolio development Investment
• Conduct due diligence on new investment opportunities on behalf of REDF or its potential funding partners, including the review of proposal, financial testing, and market analysis
• Provide guidance and technical assistance to organizations seeking investments to strengthen their expansion plans, improve financial projections, refine program model and revise written proposals/ growth plans
• Advise REDF and its potential funding partners on the strengths, risks, and social impact of various investment opportunities, including recommendations on the type and amount of capital needed as well as other support or ongoing technical assistance needed to strengthen the chance of success
Farber Interns Program
• Participate in Farber Intern selection process by representing REDF at recruiting events, interviewing prospective candidates, and by participating in the selection committee
• Identify and scope appropriate summer Farber Internship projects
• Supervise and coach Farber Interns as appropriate, including providing REDF tools/frameworks and guidance
Social Enterprise Field Advancement
• Codify portfolio work and lessons-learned into tools or other content that can be used by philanthropy or social enterprise practitioners in regional partnerships, Accelerator, or on REDF knowledge channels including REDFWorkshop
• Provide information and referrals to targeted portfolio and non-portfolio practitioners
• Make presentations, lead or participate in conferences, workshops and online discussions that make strategic contributions to social enterprises, nonprofits, and philanthropists
• Collaborate and assist with other teams at REDF as necessary, including development and fundraising, finance, and marketing and communications
• Minimum of five to seven years of experience in a related field
• MBA (preferred; other graduate degrees or commensurate experience will be considered)
• Desire to utilize problem-solving skills to help social enterprises overcome challenges
• Strong analytical skills; ability to independently set up and execute appropriate analyses for portfolio projects, draw conclusions, and make concrete, actionable recommendations based on data and analysis
• Experience in the following: businesses in multiple industries, advisory, or grantmaking
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills, including diplomacy, tact and patience
• Ability to work with people with a wide range of cultural backgrounds, skill levels and experience
• Enjoy working independently, with some degree of flexibility and ambiguity
• Strong Microsoft PowerPoint and Excel skills
• Ability to travel up to 30% of the time
• Experience working with small businesses
• Experience working with nonprofit agencies and nonprofit-run businesses
• Experience with job training and job creation programs employing disadvantaged people
• Ability to help craft REDF’s next 20 years of impact
• Work with passionate, dedicated people
• Apply your passion for social change in your career
• Operate with a high degree of autonomy in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
• Competitive, comprehensive benefits package
Please submit your resume and cover letter as one document via REDF’s applicant portal.
REDF is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of equal treatment and opportunity in every aspect of its relations with staff members and prospective employees, and will not discriminate against applicants for employment because of race, creed, color, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sex, or sexual orientation. REDF encourages employment applications from people who are representative of the culturally and ethnically diverse communities REDF serves. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, REDF will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
May 28, 2018
Sage People Recruit